I woke up today morning with the realisation that I am gambling with my life. My career is my moolah. Fuck. Everything was so perfectly planned last year-take the goddamn IELTS, apply to the colleges of choice and wait for their letter of acceptances. But I gambled it all away. I mean there's still time incase I decide to change my mind (again!) and leave this city, but I am very disillusioned now. I should have fuckin sat for the NID entrance atleast, I know I have it in me to make it, even though I'm such a bum. Crap. If I don't get through to my college/s of choice here, I can safely say that my career in music is over. I will have to go away some place, whether I like it or not because the education *does* matter at the end of the day. Your degree, very sadly, makes you and not what you have within you....So anyway, I'm not letting the pressure get to me. The friggin test scores are valid for two years so incase something goes horribly wrong here, I could apply outside cause my profile technically is quite impressive, taking into consideration the orthodox system that prevails in the UK. (reasoning with yourself helps, doesn't it?!)
But I don't want to go away. I want to stay here, for another five years atleast.I want to keep doing what I am doing now. I am putting so much of energy into it that it's not funny. I want this more than ever, I got that little push which I needed to get me going and there's no stopping me now.
So in such times what does one do? I know my fix-music and the Beatles have a fucking song for every goddamn mood man. So while listening to Across The Universe, I remembered the existence of a version by Rufus Wainwright and he put everything back into place.
Rarely does a cover match up to the magic of the original song. I idol worship The Beatles like a crazy woman and think they're probably the coolest band to have lived on planet earth and I HATE most people who cover their songs and land up looking like jackasses.
But Rufus Wainwright is the man. First Cohen's Hallelujah (which I happen to like more than the original version, don't kill me, please) and now this. I love this man. Unlike other artists, who show off their vocal skills, this man actually digs deep into the song and captures the feel, which I think is the most important element of music. I love the video too, in a creepy way. Hope you like it as well.
And there are tonnes of other versions as well, mostly from soundtracks though. The ones that I don't mind listening to are Apple's rendition from the OST of Pleasantville and ofcourse the version which features in the movie 'Across the Universe', I don't know who that is by so please excuse my ignorance and if you STILL don't like the song, just listen to the goddamn version by the Beatles and don't blame me if you fall in love with the song!
:)