It isn't about the distortion guitars. It isn't about the complex changes in drum and bass patterns. It's not about fancy vocal lines either. It's about the ability of music to influence someone, to reach out to them, somewhere, somehow.
You could only play a few basic chords. You could make a simple melody line. The lyrics could be simple, but what you think is true to yourself. That's it. That's all that you need to make an 'anthem'.
Bob Dylan, I am positively in love with your music. I don't think you're a sell out. I don't think you're a conman and I definitely don't think that your music is anything less than brilliant. Let's face it, you're a poet. You're a vagabond. You're a nobody, a somebody and everybody at the same time. You give me hope. You give me inspiration.
But Dylan is not for everybody. You have to acquire a taste for it. You either love him or think of him as a bore, there's nothing in-between
The songs never made much sense to me when I was younger, I never could figure out what the craze about a thin man wearing fancy sunglasses, with a mouth organ and an acoustic guitar, singing with a nasal twang was all about. But that has changed since.
Today, at this moment, I can safely say that I too, have turned into another crazed Bob Dylan "fan"....
And yes, lying on my table are my mother's vintage RayBans...they're pretty much like the ones Dylan would wear. Is this a sign then? Ah, I wouldn't know, I've been too busy listening to and playing/singing his songs....
:P